This variation on the traditional fruit salad was inspired by a Brazilian restaurant that Crackers’ dad and I used to go to BC (before children). I don’t know exactly how they did it but they used to make this amazing barbecued pineapple which was always the highlight of the meal. My guess is that the pineapple was cooked with a combo of brown sugar and cinnamon. So that’s how we’ve done it here. The addition of watermelon was ours but really, who can go past watermelon stars? We added a sprig of mint from our herb garden to make it look a bit more posh. Crackers gave it a double thumbs-up. We hope your little food critics do too!
What you will need:
- a pineapple
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- a quarter of watermelon
- sprig of mint (optional)
- a star-shaped cookie cutter
- a dob of butter
- a plastic bag
- some paper towel
- sharp knife
1. Cut pineapple into 5-10mm slices and then further slice into small wedges. Pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2. Slice watermelon into 5-10mm slices and cut out stars with cookie cutter.
3. Put brown sugar and cinnamon (and nutmeg if you’re using it) into a plastic bag and shake it around to mix them up. Add pineapple and the bag around again to coat the pineapple in the cinnamon mix.
4. Melt a bit of butter in your frypan/chargriller or barbecue and fry up your pineapple until it browns a little and the cinnamon mix has ‘cooked on’.
5. Let the pineapple cool slightly and then mix it together with the watermelon. Garnish with mint if you want to. Serve immediately.