Week 8: Bircher muesli
The only things that seem to be consistent about bircher muesli recipes, as I discovered in researching our eighth Around the World breakfast, are oats soaked (in something) overnight, some type of nuts, and grated apple. Beyond that, it’s pretty much anything goes. So we took a bit of creative licence here and ran with cranberries and almonds as the key flavours. We also chose to soak the oats in apple juice for sweetness but some other recipes we found suggested soaking in water, milk or yoghurt, and sweetening with honey or maple syrup. I’m not really a fan of super heavy bircher muesli so we opted for just a small dollop of yoghurt at the end, rather than soaking the oats in it. It’s a bit of a ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’, so vary it up however you like!
Makes approx. 2 full cups of muesli (or 3 medium sized serves).
What you will need:
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or your dried fruit of choice)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2tbsp walnuts, crushed
- 2 apples, grated (skin optional)
- 1/3 cup milk (we used almond milk for extra almond flavour but any milk would be fine)
- dollop of plain or vanilla yoghurt
- mortar and pestle or a blender
1. Put oats and cinnamon into a plastic container and shake to distribute cinnamon evenly.
2. Put the oats in a bowl and add apple juice and dried fruit. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
3. Dry fry the almonds in a frypan until just browned and crunchy. Crush them into small pieces in a mortar and pestle or blender.
4. Add half of the almonds to the oat mix, along with grated apple, walnuts and milk.
5. Top with a dollop of yoghurt and the remaining crushed almonds.
Join us on our journey!
This is the eighth of our ‘Around the World’ breakfasts. Each week we’ll be making something from a different country as part of our ‘Around the World in 18 Breakfasts’ series. Subscribe to our blog or follow us on Facebook or Pinterest to be part of the journey. Next stop: Ukraine!
We’ll be taking a break from our Around the World series next week, for my little one’s 2nd birthday. In the meantime, we’ll bring you some behind the scenes snaps from Mr.2’s Teddy Bears’ Picnic party…)